If you recall, the entry of South Africa during the 1992 World Cup heralded a new fashion of setting-up decent scores in ODI without taking too many risks — the idea was to take as many quick singles and secures the wickets for the slog overs. Before this, the Australians were regarded as the best team in terms of running, seemingly-risky but actually, safe singles and running the opposition teams, ragged. Yes, there were some players from the sub-continent like Miandad who had created a niche for themselves by being canny single seekers but beyond a few names, this approach was limited to Australia. After the 1992 season, Hansie Cronje’s South Africa gave a new definition to this approach wherein under the coaching of Bob Woolmer, the team started believing that if you could take a single off every ball, a score of around 300 was easily achievable and that too when a score of ODI game was within the realm of 225 – 250. Those who have a good cricket memory would recall that one of South Africa keenest followers of this approach and a dedicated innings architect for nearly a decade was India’s preset coach, Gary Kirsten. The man literally grew upon the opposition not through magnanimous shots that are played by the likes of Sehewag or Hayden, but through this, singles approach. It seems that the current Indian team is beginning to understand the virtue of this noble approach. For starters, for the first time in probably a decade, the team looks hungry to rotate the strike and their batting appetite is being satiated through taking a boundary but along with preceding and following the boundary shot by placing the ball into gaps and running lots of ones/twos.
I personally believe that this is a direct effect of Kirsten’s presence in the squad. He has somehow managed to appeal to the senses of the boundary-and-sixes hitters in the team that the entire idea is to keep the game moving even if it means sacrificing your ‘glory’ shots and running a lot, for the team’s cause. The result is very evident — batsmen like Gambhir and Sehewag are becoming more comprehensive batters, learning how to mix-up their innings which previously, often bordered on being one-way traffic. The idea was introduced by Greg Chappell also but somehow his much-maligned approach didn’t work with the team.
What started as a means to express my observations when riding the Delhi Metro, is now about maintaining a not-so-personal diary about the "everyday" - Life! Expect a lot of opinions, a love for the unusual, and the tendency to blog about things that don't seem to matter much...on-the-go, unfiltered and with bias.
Search This Blog
The ‘Singles Approach’ — a Kirsten thing?
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Mental Health Battles, Confessions
- Need that Morning Sense of Calmness
- Trying to Breathe-In, Hold and Then, Exhale the Anxiety Out of ME
- Dem Lost Souls
- The Valium Pages in My DIY Life’s Diary
- Have You Used Self-created Pinch Points to Handle Anxiety?
- Exhaling Away the Blues, with a Thrust
- Don’t Plan Life, Just a Week Can Do!
- My Psoriasis: More of a Psychological Thing?!
- Uncluttering to Gain Composure: Is it really so simple?
- Skin Picking [Excoriation]: Stupid Addictions that Only Harm You
- Being Different: Learning Humility without Being a Doormat | Life Teaches You How to Give a Fuck
- Try to Push-up Towards Better Mental Health - When Exercising is about the MIND!
- Using Palm Clenching to Navigate Anxious Oceans
- Life Motivation Quotes that Don’t Relay the Right Idea Unless you don’t Value the Present!
- Type of Weird Things that Cloud My Mind when I look Serious, Attentive, Concerned
- Everyday Observations: What is this feeling associated with Books Stacked Together?
- Mind Matters: That One Thing No One in Depression Should be Allowed…
- Don't Try to Life-proof your Relationship, Let it Ride the Wave cauz You Made it that Strong!`
- Planning can be an achievement killer: scheduling to find your chi of greatness?
- Fruits with Aesthetics: what is it about happy lemons?
- How pint sips can be my anxiety fixer with no big downsides...
- You might want to drive alone, not to rethink, but to think better...
- Why not take an adventure trip within your home with almost zero gear? [DIY Anxiety Management]
- Condition that makes dotted patterns visually overwhelming is called___??
- Approach to Restarting Life Inspired by Falling Leaves
- When Life Gives You Lemons, Ask for Martini...Demand One!
- pre-empting the final goodbyes...the ones that will mean the most.
- What if you didn't have a bestie? What if the everlasting friendship never got underway...
- That time of the month for a Guy but is Mental Menstrual break a reality?
- Confession Time – Updated on February 13th, 2018
- Pain Lies in the Mind of the Beholder: Your Pain Can Be An Emotional Manager
Opinions About Everything
- Swagger when Sipping Tea?!
- Metro: The Last, Save Haven for Women in the City?
- Metro Physics, Chapter 1: “Human Pendulums”
- The Actresses are Revealed
- Portion of My Dreams Captured in Images Borrowed Online
- Changing First Name or Surname Post Marriage: are we overthinking it?
- Just Some Fleeting Thoughts about ‘Could Have Been Better’
- How Old is ‘seat-worthy old’?
- Lohri – yes, it is essentially a Bonfire Thing!
- Are your dreams always wintery?
- Are you eating a banana or hot dog?
- Why is winter dressing about Greys, followed by fanaticism for Black and Deep Blues?
- Weirdness about the Japanese Culture Just Got Deeper!
- What does red bring to you?
- Why deep-throating DIGITIZATION in India is stupid?
- Loving the Flames – a peek into bonfires, loving the flickers
- For the Love of Impact Mints, Actually the Box…OK!! It Is Just A Short Review!
- Is Misunderstanding ‘Big Data’ akin to Misinterpreting ‘How to Live’?
- Seeking Compliments Has Got Nothing To Do With Vanity…In Most Cases
- Dyslexia or Dysgraphia due to Breaking the Habit?
- Not Silence of the Lambs, Nothing Depraved, Just an Opinion about Sheep Shearing Videos
- Banish Old Driving Habits: Vehicular Acclimatization is What it Takes to Make the Most Out of Mahindra KUV 100
- Why this sudden global fascination with Brown?
- LIARS: So Pulled Back Hair is About Minimal Styling?
- Valentine's Day Thoughts: Proposing with an emphasis on making it big?
- Discussions Inspired by the Upcoming 2018 Holi Festival
- Don't Man-Bag the Issue: purse, pouch, clutch-like or shoulder bag?
- Not Another Left-handed vs Right-handed Blog: Is there a good side to your body?
- From Childhood to Young Adult & Now Married - How Creating, Losing and Reconnecting with these Memories Makes Me Wonder about Life
- Her Bra Strap is Showing, so why should you feel uncomfortable?
- From Kejriwal to Aussie Smith, March 2018 is a Month of Surprising Apologies, Some Look Genuine, Others Outright Conceited!!
- The Pencil Thing: When Life Pulls You Back to the Basics!
- No Mom, I am not throwing away God!!
- I believe Casanova had great oral skills...I mean, Conversational!
- Don't complicate social media - it is more human than you think!
- Marble White & Predominantly White Sneakers Continue to Engage MEN...why?
- Guilt Pangs are OK but Don't Get Wishful about Reducing Your Guilt Footprints
- Find how the typewriter is not another technologically defunct memory...this old dog punches back!
- Owning a Beagle...am ready for the dope-eyed canine to crawl all over!
- Beer in a Glass versus Drinking Beer from the Bottle: why is the house so divided?
- Debating How Men Should Look: Why BIG guys will always be macho & better for many?
- Voyeuristic Decadence: What if you could crap like Richard Branson?
- Night-outs Should Be Exploring Without Scheduling | Planners, Stay Away!
- When Couple Therapy means getting along with a Man & Wife you cannot connect with!
- Colossal Crisis: Food Inspectors on the Metro & Confessions about Zero Self-Governance
- Not Just a Tattered Scooter, this is a bygone era on two wheels that is crumbling…
- The Geeky Gaff: Judging a Book by its Cover…Feel & a Lot More!
- Workout Disasters - Reality over Mind over Pain - am I losing to chimps?
- Catty, Animalistic or Just Fashionista? The Truth is that Animal Prints Don’t Make You Look Any of These…
- Now that tattoos are mainstream, are there any rules to the body ink game?
- Images to Test-Decipher How an Individual has Aged, Lived, Prospered, Degenerated
- Bright homes seem crude, crass & downright Asian poor versus Postcard-perfect Euro Locations
- Most Ridiculous Theory Ever about the Curse of Perfection – Only a Guy Could Share This | Popcorn Bytes
- Don’t Deny It – Everyone is Guilty of Leave-the-Office Early Pangs
- Nothing Oceanic Perhaps but this Shade is Calming for Sure…
- Love Nature but wearing it is entirely different | Ridiculous Fashion
- A Note to My Dear Phus-Phus...[Love Sign!]
- Be Bear-Y Patient to Read this...that strange Men-Bear Connection!
- DIY Silicone Lessions via DIY Struggles in Handling Industrial Strength Compounds
- Because white-spacing published content matters...
- Because white-spacing published content matters...
- SO Hate Me for Carrying One…somewhere in my daily gear
- Two Massagers & A Reasonably Good Guy
- Online Shopping Review for Mr. Bowerbird Apparels on Myntra
I don't know much about Kirsten's immediate impact but yes the top-order of the Indian batting does seem to be taking a bit more initiative in taking singles are rotating the strike. I believe that this is a major development since the lack of enterprise in taking quick singles has been hurting the team in the recent past as its stroke-makers seem too dependent on playing the bigs strokes.ReplyDelete
hello...frnd...i am rajesh SINGLA from delhi...can u advertisement of my blog : howstats.blogspot.com ...like recent post...in reverse m ur advertise of ur blog.....my facebook id: www.facebook.com/RajesHSINGLAA or twitter : www.twitter.com/RajeshSINGLAReplyDelete
I think u guys didn't see the latest in the indian batting, i.e. against the bangladeshis, their inability to play the short-pitched bowling and their reluctance to take quick singles was very evident. Gary Kirsten cannot make such wholesome changes and change the mental make-up of the batsmen...that is something they need to do themselves.ReplyDelete
the only thing that i would like to point out is that the Indian batsmen were a bit relaxed playing on the dead bangladeshi pitches and the fact they were playing a team on the brink of being ousted from test cricket...so their metnal intensity was a big compromised. it would not be fair to comment upon Kirsten's efforts just because some of the batsmen displayed a laidback attitude...this is what separates the aussies. those guys are just unrelenting no matter what kind of team they are facing. india no. 1 test team for long time? i would not bet my life on itReplyDelete