Search This Blog
Why don’t I have the focus or irrational interest for marathon TV-watching sessions?
For the Apple-fed generation, this question won’t even make sense. I am talking to the millennials who were put on this Earth between 1975 and 1985. People born during this decade would understand the changing and highly disruptive dynamics of TV watching. We were brought up with a simple belief that TV was supposed to be the storehouse of entertainment. However, access to it was limited. It was routinely filtered and purged by family elders. Having free access to TV without their presence was a good omen, a sign that the Gods were happy with us. For us, Television had real potential, a promise that was unspoken, and it shared space in all of our future plans. After all, the type of TV program cart we could boast about and our TV model credentials was a direct commentary about our lifestyles. The poorer among us would fantasize about having unrestricted access to overseas programs while those who could manage it were treated like royalty.
This phase soon gave way to the inception of Cabled programs that threatened to ruin our private haven, groomed with much pain and suffering, that worshiped the Television. This also brought about another change – now, TV-watching was not about an hour of supervised activity. We found the genuine interest and rationale of watching endless movies and sports broadcasts. We knew that the future was semi-perfect for us now that we always had a TV to air something interesting throughout the day. Having parents around did not seem that critical while having friends was like a topping you could do away with. The TV had positioned itself as the matriarch, patriarch, and future-arch and it couldn’t be challenged by anyone, anything, any entity but only itself!
No, I am not detached from watching the television but despite longer viewing hours, there is a genuine dip in the love for this exercise and the happiness it used to deliver. And strangely, the viewership hours continue to pile on. It is difficult to specify what went horribly wrong. Something did for sure and I am trying to join the dots.
The TV chords got shorter and sleeker and so did our attention span. TV got smarter and so did we, fed by Google’s search engine results but I guess equally smart entities have little to do in terms of grabbing each other’s attention. The content being transmitted got more professional rendered and we too developed a more formal way of doing things, with everything around us, from diapers to opinions, smartly categorized, indexed, and shared, with a platform, a channel, a medium for each defined to us by absolute strangers. It is strange that this marginal community of not-so-young folks that I am a part of cannot relate to the idiot box. The irony is that with more content being piled on and literally everything from the innermost view of your intestines to a developing womb being just a channel-flip away, the idiocy seems to be overflowing.
So, what is happening with me despite more-than-necessary televised content being available all the time? A genuine lack of interest in almost everything being aired. Yes, there is a bit of curiosity that kicks in when slick ads of a new series or genre-defining movies flashes. But largely, there is a massive deficit in TV-watching attention. The fingers are always fidgeting as if the next channel selection is going to rain something horribly awesome. Even on OTT platforms with monthly subscriptions, I am usually following or trying to follow, three to four shows simultaneously. The patience to complete a season seems flickering. That feeling of goodness after watching a few good episodes just does not surface.
While I repeatedly plan to finish a season on a given night, the result is usually a couple of episodes and then losing interest. I really wonder what makes people undertake and accomplish marathon TV watching these days. Even pro-wrestling shows cannot hold my attention for too long. I would say that watching anything dedicatedly for up to 1 hour is the challenge and benchmark right now - if I can do this, it means the content genuinely got me hooked.
Mental Health Battles, Confessions
- Need that Morning Sense of Calmness
- Trying to Breathe-In, Hold and Then, Exhale the Anxiety Out of ME
- Dem Lost Souls
- The Valium Pages in My DIY Life’s Diary
- Have You Used Self-created Pinch Points to Handle Anxiety?
- Exhaling Away the Blues, with a Thrust
- Don’t Plan Life, Just a Week Can Do!
- My Psoriasis: More of a Psychological Thing?!
- Uncluttering to Gain Composure: Is it really so simple?
- Skin Picking [Excoriation]: Stupid Addictions that Only Harm You
- Being Different: Learning Humility without Being a Doormat | Life Teaches You How to Give a Fuck
- Try to Push-up Towards Better Mental Health - When Exercising is about the MIND!
- Using Palm Clenching to Navigate Anxious Oceans
- Life Motivation Quotes that Don’t Relay the Right Idea Unless you don’t Value the Present!
- Type of Weird Things that Cloud My Mind when I look Serious, Attentive, Concerned
- Everyday Observations: What is this feeling associated with Books Stacked Together?
- Mind Matters: That One Thing No One in Depression Should be Allowed…
- Don't Try to Life-proof your Relationship, Let it Ride the Wave cauz You Made it that Strong!`
- Planning can be an achievement killer: scheduling to find your chi of greatness?
- Fruits with Aesthetics: what is it about happy lemons?
- How pint sips can be my anxiety fixer with no big downsides...
- You might want to drive alone, not to rethink, but to think better...
- Why not take an adventure trip within your home with almost zero gear? [DIY Anxiety Management]
- Condition that makes dotted patterns visually overwhelming is called___??
- Approach to Restarting Life Inspired by Falling Leaves
- When Life Gives You Lemons, Ask for Martini...Demand One!
- pre-empting the final goodbyes...the ones that will mean the most.
- What if you didn't have a bestie? What if the everlasting friendship never got underway...
- That time of the month for a Guy but is Mental Menstrual break a reality?
- Confession Time – Updated on February 13th, 2018
- Pain Lies in the Mind of the Beholder: Your Pain Can Be An Emotional Manager
Opinions About Everything
- Swagger when Sipping Tea?!
- Metro: The Last, Save Haven for Women in the City?
- Metro Physics, Chapter 1: “Human Pendulums”
- The Actresses are Revealed
- Portion of My Dreams Captured in Images Borrowed Online
- Changing First Name or Surname Post Marriage: are we overthinking it?
- Just Some Fleeting Thoughts about ‘Could Have Been Better’
- How Old is ‘seat-worthy old’?
- Lohri – yes, it is essentially a Bonfire Thing!
- Are your dreams always wintery?
- Are you eating a banana or hot dog?
- Why is winter dressing about Greys, followed by fanaticism for Black and Deep Blues?
- Weirdness about the Japanese Culture Just Got Deeper!
- What does red bring to you?
- Why deep-throating DIGITIZATION in India is stupid?
- Loving the Flames – a peek into bonfires, loving the flickers
- For the Love of Impact Mints, Actually the Box…OK!! It Is Just A Short Review!
- Is Misunderstanding ‘Big Data’ akin to Misinterpreting ‘How to Live’?
- Seeking Compliments Has Got Nothing To Do With Vanity…In Most Cases
- Dyslexia or Dysgraphia due to Breaking the Habit?
- Not Silence of the Lambs, Nothing Depraved, Just an Opinion about Sheep Shearing Videos
- Banish Old Driving Habits: Vehicular Acclimatization is What it Takes to Make the Most Out of Mahindra KUV 100
- Why this sudden global fascination with Brown?
- LIARS: So Pulled Back Hair is About Minimal Styling?
- Valentine's Day Thoughts: Proposing with an emphasis on making it big?
- Discussions Inspired by the Upcoming 2018 Holi Festival
- Don't Man-Bag the Issue: purse, pouch, clutch-like or shoulder bag?
- Not Another Left-handed vs Right-handed Blog: Is there a good side to your body?
- From Childhood to Young Adult & Now Married - How Creating, Losing and Reconnecting with these Memories Makes Me Wonder about Life
- Her Bra Strap is Showing, so why should you feel uncomfortable?
- From Kejriwal to Aussie Smith, March 2018 is a Month of Surprising Apologies, Some Look Genuine, Others Outright Conceited!!
- The Pencil Thing: When Life Pulls You Back to the Basics!
- No Mom, I am not throwing away God!!
- I believe Casanova had great oral skills...I mean, Conversational!
- Don't complicate social media - it is more human than you think!
- Marble White & Predominantly White Sneakers Continue to Engage MEN...why?
- Guilt Pangs are OK but Don't Get Wishful about Reducing Your Guilt Footprints
- Find how the typewriter is not another technologically defunct memory...this old dog punches back!
- Owning a Beagle...am ready for the dope-eyed canine to crawl all over!
- Beer in a Glass versus Drinking Beer from the Bottle: why is the house so divided?
- Debating How Men Should Look: Why BIG guys will always be macho & better for many?
- Voyeuristic Decadence: What if you could crap like Richard Branson?
- Night-outs Should Be Exploring Without Scheduling | Planners, Stay Away!
- When Couple Therapy means getting along with a Man & Wife you cannot connect with!
- Colossal Crisis: Food Inspectors on the Metro & Confessions about Zero Self-Governance
- Not Just a Tattered Scooter, this is a bygone era on two wheels that is crumbling…
- The Geeky Gaff: Judging a Book by its Cover…Feel & a Lot More!
- Workout Disasters - Reality over Mind over Pain - am I losing to chimps?
- Catty, Animalistic or Just Fashionista? The Truth is that Animal Prints Don’t Make You Look Any of These…
- Now that tattoos are mainstream, are there any rules to the body ink game?
- Images to Test-Decipher How an Individual has Aged, Lived, Prospered, Degenerated
- Bright homes seem crude, crass & downright Asian poor versus Postcard-perfect Euro Locations
- Most Ridiculous Theory Ever about the Curse of Perfection – Only a Guy Could Share This | Popcorn Bytes
- Don’t Deny It – Everyone is Guilty of Leave-the-Office Early Pangs
- Nothing Oceanic Perhaps but this Shade is Calming for Sure…
- Love Nature but wearing it is entirely different | Ridiculous Fashion
- A Note to My Dear Phus-Phus...[Love Sign!]
- Be Bear-Y Patient to Read this...that strange Men-Bear Connection!
- DIY Silicone Lessions via DIY Struggles in Handling Industrial Strength Compounds
- Because white-spacing published content matters...
- Because white-spacing published content matters...
- SO Hate Me for Carrying One…somewhere in my daily gear
- Two Massagers & A Reasonably Good Guy
- Online Shopping Review for Mr. Bowerbird Apparels on Myntra